The Building Permit process helps you understand the local bylaws and regulations. Before any demolition, construction, or remodelling begins, a permit must be obtained.

Building permits provide Building Officials the means to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of building occupants. All Building Officials are expected to follow the Code of Conduct for Building Officials at all times. 

Common permits include building, plumbing, sewer, water, demolition, moving a building, swimming pools, temporary event tents, special events, and signs.

Payment of the building permit fee is due upon issuance of the permit.

Apply for a building permit

Submit a completed application form with two sets of scaled construction drawings for residential and three sets of scaled construction drawings for commercial/industrial including a proposed site plan referenced to an up-to-date survey to the department of community planning and development at Town Hall. The type of plans which are required vary with the type and size of the project. Sign and pool permits are processed through the bylaw services. All other permits are processed through the Building Division.

Any questions, please contact Belinda Menard, Building Intake/Plans Examiner at 905-892-2607 ext 344 or

Apply for a pool permit

Pool permit application

$255.00 flat fee per private pool

Permits are required for above-ground pools as well as in-ground pools.

To apply for a pool permit you must submit a completed pool application form with two copies of the proposed site plan, showing the proposed location of the pool and distances from each property line, and submit to By-Law Enforcement at Fire Station 1. If your home is on a septic system, you will need to contact the Niagara Regional Public Works Department at 905-980-6000 for their approval of the location of the pool. 

Security Deposit

Security deposits are taken to ensure that any damage during construction to Town services or property is rectified. This deposit is returned once final inspection has been carried out and there is no damage, or when damages have been rectified to the Town's satisfaction.

Pool Fencing Requirements

Fencing, a minimum height of 5', is required for both in-ground and above-ground pools. In the case of above-ground pools, a railing on the top of the pool is considered sufficient providing the minimum height of 5' is maintained.

Special events permit

If you are planning your own special event, such as a parade, bicycle race, running event, walk-a-thon, filming, street festivities, or sidewalk sale, utilizing town infrastructure, such as roads or parks, a Special Event Permit is required. These Special Event Permits are issued by the department of public works.

Portable sign permit

Contact Us