Marriage Licences

Marriage Licences are issued by the Clerk's department Monday to Friday - 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Appointments are required and an online application is required in advance. 

  1. Complete the online application for a marriage licence, click here.
  2. Contact the Deputy Clerk, listed below, to arrange for an appointment to complete the application process.

Please contact Sarah Leach, Deputy Clerk at or 905-892-2607 ext. 320

 Fee and Identification


The cost of a marriage licence is $130, payable by cash, cheque, or debit. 



  • TWO (2) pieces of valid government issued identification for both parties must be provided;
  • They must be ORIGINALS; photocopies are not accepted;
  • One piece MUST be a birth certificate, any change of name certificate, current passport, record of Immigrant Landing, Canadian Citizenship Card or Adoption Papers;
  • Second piece of identification MUST be photo identification e.g. driver's licence or health card for both parties. 



Applicants must be 18 year of age or over to obtain a licence. 

Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age must have both parents' consent (or parent with custody of minor). 


One Party Present

One of the applicants must be present to purchase a marriage licence. If only one person can attend, the identification listed above must be provided for both parties. The application must be completed, signed and dated by both parties. 


Licence Expiry 

A marriage licence is valid anywhere in Ontario for a period of three months from the date of issuance. Should you pass the 3 month period, another licence must be purchased. No refund can be provided for marriage licences issued. 

 Previous Marriages

If one or both of the applicants applying for a marriage licence has been divorced and the divorce was granted in Canada, the original or a certified true copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce must be provided.  Divorce Judgements will not be accepted.


Out of Country Divorces or Annulments 
Divorces granted outside of Canada require Registrar General authorization. You must send the following documents to Service Ontario:
1. Marriage license application form: completed and signed; 
2. Statement of sole responsibility: for each divorce (signed by both people who are planning to get married and a witness); 
3. Legal opinion letter: from an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both people who plan to get married, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario; 
4. Divorce decree or annulment: an original or court-certified copy in English or French. If the decree is in another language, you will need to include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator. 
For more information on this process, please contact Service Ontario


If one or both of the applicants are widowed, a copy of the death certificate may be required.



Any applicants that have any of the following are considered ineligible for the issuance of a license. 

  • One or both parties are under physical or mental duress;
  • One or both parties fail to meet the age requirements;
  • The parties are related as grandparents, parent, child, grandchild, brother or sister; 
  • One or both parties are currently married;
  • One or both parties are mentally ill or under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs and incapable of understanding the nature of the marriage contract and the duties, obligations and responsibilities of marriage;
  • Have previously participated in a destination or symbolic ceremony or;
  • Are under the age of 16 years may be married. 

Civil Marriage Ceremonies

The Clerk's department is pleased to conduct civil marriage ceremonies by appointment. To book, please contact the Deputy Clerk.


Civil Ceremony Services and Fees 

Civil Marriage Ceremonies - On-site - Business Hours 

Admin Fee Non-Refundable

$200 + HST

($100 use of Town Hall +$100 Officiant(1)(3) Fee)

Note: $50.00 deposit required upon booking, non-refundable if cancelled by wedding couple.

Civil Marriage Ceremonies - Off-site and/or After Hours

Outside Business Hours

Admin Fee Non-Refundable

$300 + HST

($100 Town Administrative Fee + $200 Officiant(2) Fee)

Note: $50.00 deposit required upon booking, non-refundable if cancelled by wedding couple.

*During COVID-19 outdoor weddings at Peace Park are preferred. Rental of Peace Park Bandshell Applies (10 people) per hour, Or:  $15.00
*Rental Fee - Business Hours - MCC Accursi Louge (9 people) per hour $22.00
*Rental Fee - Business Hours - MCC 1/2 Accursi Room (34 people) per hour $34.00
$50.00 Friday - Sunday

Rehearsal Fee

$75 + HST

(Plus Officiant Expenses)

Witness Fee - Municipal Staff - Normal Business Hours

$25 + HST

(Per Employee)

Cleaning Fees

(if required)

$100 + HST

Municipal Property Damage - Billable

Full Cost Recovery

Mileage/Expenses - Outside Business Hours

Mileage charged at current rate as approved by Council;

Applicable Expenses as agreed to by both parties, i.e. meals; accommodation(2)

Civil Marriage ceremony fees are detailed yearly in the Town of Pelham Fees and Charges By-law.

Civil Wedding Information Package

Please download the complete Civil Marriage Ceremony Information Package or select the specific document you wish to view:

Legal Ceremonies vs Symbolic Ceremonies

To ensure that your marriage is performed properly and legally, an authorized officiant needs to marry you. This may be a judge, justice of the peace or authorized municipal clerk during a civil marriage ceremony or a recognized religious official during a religious ceremony. 

There are numerous requirements that must be performed to ensure the marriage is legally binding. This includes but is not limited to the presence of witnesses, a registered officiant, the exchange of vows, a pronouncement and a declaration.

Symbolic ceremonies often incorporate elements of a legal ceremony. If the symbolic ceremony includes these elements, and you have not yet had a legal ceremony, you are no longer eligible for a legal ceremony in Ontario.

Destination Weddings

Should you proceed with a legal destination wedding, your marriage must be registered in the destination country. Legal destination marriages cannot be registered in your country of residence, and another ceremony cannot be performed in Ontario.

If there is concern around your symbolic wedding being misunderstood as a legal wedding, it is recommended that the legal (civil) ceremony take place BEFORE your destination (symbolic) wedding, as Town of Pelham Officiants cannot offer a marriage ceremony if a destination wedding has previously taken place.

Contact Us