The Building Permit process helps you understand the local bylaws and regulations. Before any demolition, construction, or remodelling begins, a permit must be obtained.

Building permits provide Building Officials the means to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of building occupants. All Building Officials are expected to follow the Code of Conduct for Building Officials at all times. 

Common permits include building, plumbing, sewer, water, demolition, moving a building, swimming pools, temporary event tents, special events, and signs.

Payment of the building permit fee is due upon issuance of the permit.

Second Dwelling Units - Quick Facts
Security Deposits: 

Security deposits are taken to ensure that any damage during construction to Town services or property is rectified. This deposit is returned once final inspection has been carried out and there is no damage, or when damages have been rectified to the Town's satisfaction.

Building Permit

Note: in order to use the 'online digital signature' you will need to download/save the Building Permit Application and Agent Authorization Forms and re-open using Adobe Reader. 

Please note: our office is working with its service provider to provide a more mainstream option.

 Other forms:


Questions regarding SECONDARY UNITS?  Please refer to the By-Law page.


Any questions relating to Building Permits and process, please contact:                                                                                                         Building Intake/Zoning Technician                                                                                                                                                                                      905-980-6683, or 905-892-2607 'inspections' or ext 344 |  

 Other Information:


Pool Permit

Permits are required for above-ground pools as well as in-ground pools.

To apply for a pool permit you must submit a completed pool application form with two copies of the proposed site plan, showing the proposed location of the pool and distances from each property line, and submit to By-Law Enforcement at Fire Station 1. If your home is on a septic system, you will need to contact the Niagara Regional Private Sewage Systems Department at 905-980-6000 for their approval of the location of the pool. 

Pool Fencing Requirements

Fencing, a minimum height of 5', is required for both in-ground and above-ground pools. In the case of above-ground pools, a railing on the top of the pool is considered sufficient providing the minimum height of 5' is maintained.

Any questions, please contact Sylvia Zappitelli, Administrative Assistant, By-Law at 905-980-6646 or 905-892-2607 ext 201 or


Special Events Permit

If you are planning your own special event, such as a parade, bicycle race, running event, walk-a-thon, filming, street festivities, or sidewalk sale, utilizing town infrastructure, such as roads or parks, a Special Event Permit is required. These Special Event Permits are issued by the department of public works.

Any questions, please contact Sonia Simoes, Administrative Assistant, Public Works at 905-980-6672 or 905-892-2607 ext 332 or 


Sign Permit

Any questions, please contact Sylvia Zappitelli, Administrative Assistant, By-Law at 905-980-6646 or 905-892-2607 ext 201 or

Contact Us