Commissioner for Taking Affidavits

The Town of Pelham provides the services of a Commissioner for Taking Affidavits. Please note, the service is provided subject to the availability of a Commissioner for Taking Affidavits (“Commissioner”) during regular business hours.  A Commissioner is not a notary public and cannot notarize documents.

The Town recommends requestors schedule an appointment in advance to ensure the availability of a Commissioner.

Please call the Legislative and Committee Coordinator at 905-980-6664 to arrange an appointment.

What is a Commissioner for Taking Affidavits?

A Commissioner for Taking Affidavits is a person who is authorized by the Province of Ontario to take affidavits and administer oaths, affirmations, or declarations. They are given this authority by the Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act.

The Commissioner is not responsible for the content of the affidavit, as it is the applicant who is swearing that the information is correct.

Which documents can a Commissioner for Taking Affidavits sign?

The Commissioner for Taking Affidavits can sign documents, at their discretion, that include but are not limited to the following:

  • Vehicle transfer of ownership;
  • Insurance claims;
  • Pension Plan;
  • Consent to travel with children (travel letters);
  • Proof of loss;
  • Application to Change an Adult’s Name;
  • Application to Change a Child’s Name;
  • Statutory Declaration of Lost Identification;
  • Statutory Declaration for OSAP;
  • Statement of Common Law Status/Supporting Children;
  • Statutory declarations on government-related forms;
  • Town of Pelham department forms (no fee); and
  • Vaccination exemptions.

  The Commissioner for Taking Affidavits will NOT sign documents related to the following:

  • Wills, Living Wills, and Codicils to Wills;
  • Powers of Attorney;
  • Estate documents;
  • Land transfer documents;
  • Real estate documents;
  • Passport (in lieu of guarantor);
  • Proof of residency;
  • Declaration of a Translator;
  • Age of Majority or BYID Card applications;
  • Certified True Copies;
  • Documents related to debt;
  • Any document as a guarantor;
  • Documents that require the signature of a Notary Public; and
  • Documents not in English.

    Domestic and Foreign Pension – Proof of Life must be signed and sealed by either the Town Clerk or Deputy Clerk. No fee applies to this service. 

The fee is $15.00 for the first document, and $5.00 for each additional document, as outlined in the Town’s Fees and Charges By-law.

Payment is accepted by cash, cheque, or debit.

The person(s) signing the affidavit must show current proper government issued identification bearing the photograph and signature of the declarant (such as a valid Driver's License or Passport) and is required to sign in the presence of the Commissioner.

If a sworn statement indicates that there are copies of documents to be attached, you must bring those original documents with you, as well as the copies to be attached. Otherwise, the oath cannot be administered by the Commissioner.

Please note, Town of Pelham staff will not witness the execution of documents. Should you require your document to be witnessed, please bring your witness with you to the appointment.
Proof of Identity 

One of the following forms of original identification documents will be required confirming name, date of birth, signature and photo:

  • Passport - Canadian/Foreign
  • Driver's License or enhanced Driver's License 
  • Canadian Citizenship Card with photo
  • Canadian Permanent Resident Card with signature
  • Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
  • Confirmation of Permanent Resident accompanied by a valid passport from county or origin
  • Report Pursuant to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act with photo
  • Student Authorization/Study Permit
  • Employment Authorization/Work Permit
  • Visitor Record
  • Temporary Resident's Permit
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card

If the above identification cannot be provided, TWO (2) of the following documents will be required:

  • Canadian birth certificate, or a proof of birth document issued by a U.S. jurisdiction
  • Canadian Permanent Resident Card without signature (issued after February 4, 2012)
  • Government-issued proof of marriage document
  • Certified copy of statement of live birth (issued by Ontario only)
  • Certificate of Indian Status (laminated card issued by Indian & Northern Affairs Canada)
  • U.S. Passport Card
  • Nexus Card and FAST/EXPRESS Card
  • Driver’s license or enhanced driver’s license - issued by another Canadian or U.S. jurisdiction
  • Identity card - issued by a Canadian or U.S. jurisdiction (enhanced or non-enhanced)
  • Ontario health card (excludes photo)
  • Ontario student card with signature
  • Declaration from a guarantor
  • Canadian Department of National Defense (DND) identity card/Driver’s License

 Right to refuse service:

  • Commissioners are not obligated to Commissioner a document. It is at the exclusive discretion of the individual Commissioner whether or not they choose to sign the document; 
  • We have the right to refuse to commission documents where there is a possibility that we may be required to testify in a court of law; and
  • We reserve the right to refuse to commission documents for persons who are not capable of understanding them; and
  • A Commissioner is not a notary public and will not notarize documents. 

Contact Us